Saturday, June 21, 2008

Going Dim

Not dark - dim (no jibes, please). With classes, grading and graduation behind me, I begin a year's sabbatical. I will try to complete a few writing projects, including a book that will attempt to put into some order and sense many of the thoughts and ideas I've explored and argued on this "blawg." While I've tried to regulate my time on this site, it has proven to be time-consuming and I am seeking to minimize all distractions during the coming year. So, I'll limit myself to the occasional post, in most instances a piece of writing I'll have written for some other occasion.

I am honored to have been visited by so many readers over the course of the past year and a half. Last month was, at least in my modest part of the "blawgosphere," an extraordinary one, for the first time drawing over 10,000 monthly readers (nothing like a spat with NRO to drive up those numbers) after a year and a half of steady ascent. I am honored alike by those who have come out of sympathy as those who come in disagreement.

I have written here often pessimistically because of fears and concerns I have over our present course. Some have accused me of wishing for those worst-case scenarios to come to pass, and have perceived in my posts in recent weeks a sense of celebration amid our current woes. This could not be further from the truth. I wish blessings and happiness for my fellow citizens, and hope we can thrive as a nation of communities in which we look more to each other than to any central power - public or private - for the goods of human life. I hope for the restoration of our neighborhoods and the reasonable expectation that our children will reap the rewards of good and hard work that will allow them to sustain their families and communities. I hope to see this great nation restored to better ways, ones that we have had - if sporadically and imperfectly - in our history, and which lie at the heart of at least part of our tradition. I will be writing more about that America and that tradition during the coming year, and hope to publish a book that may eventually be titled something like "A Better America." We'll see. In the meantime, I hope all will enjoy a wondrous and renewing summer. Check back occasionally, but not too often. All best wishes.

8 comments:

FLG said...

Enjoy the sabbatical, Prof. D.

dale_nelson said...

Please make sure that when your book is ready, it gets mentioned in places where your readers will see that, in case by that time we've gotten slack in checking the blog.

nathancontramundi said...

We shall miss your presence in the 'sphere. Best wishes for the sabbatical!

Adam said...

Enjoy your time off, and keep us posted when the book is going to be published.

prophet said...

All best wishes to you, too, as you begin your sabbatical. I wish you much success, clarity and delight in your writing!

We'll look forward to the occasional check-in by you. . . .

Russell Arben Fox said...

I look forward to your eventual return and the fruits of your break, Patrick. Good luck with the book, and enjoy the sabbatical! (I wish I could get one of those...) Let's try to get together as before at APSA, shall we?

Joe Hartman said...

Enjoy the sabbatical, Professor Deneen. As this is one of the few blogs I check on a daily basis, I'll definitely miss your commentaries, which have provided me much food for thought over the past year. Best wishes with the work on your next book!

Anonymous said...

Dr. D, who is heading up theory in your absence? Still attending Tocqueville Forum events?